Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Taking a stroll through modern days at MODERN AND VINTAGE SHOP

Taking a stroll down the rejuvenated stretch of Franklin ave, north of Eastern Parkway heading towards Fulton st - I won't get into the reason for the upswing wink nod but know it's there, I find that the area is really in blossom if you will. There are boutiques, and cafes, and bars opening up on either side of the street. The street is seeing life the likes of which haven't been seen in the area for some time. As I pass over park pl on my journey a glimmer of green catches my eye. A terrarium!

Let me catch you up dear reader on why this was so profound to you see I have been bitten by the green thumb of micro environments. Just before my walk I was taking a walk through Brooklyn's Botanical gardens on the search for live moss. SHHHH. I know you aren't suppose to touch the plants much less take them but hey they were of the beaten path and growing wildly with out a tag, go fig. Any way terrarium building is some thing I been finding as soothing relief in my life. I may not be the best green thumb on the planet but I life that I can help life grow.

Back to the what the item that lays before me this handsomely made half sand and soil terrarium, ooooh what a concept. I as I look around the surrounding items I find some pretty nice statement pieces, tables, chairs, shelving. Okay the lure is in my mouth and I'm hooked. I enter into the quaint store front and see some of the most fun and funky pieces this side of Williamsburg, most of the stuff out there is junk, not only that this store is a Black owned business, egad! I walk around for a bit and as the avid busy body I just have to poke my nose in their affairs and ask a few questions about the store.

Kaos Blac: So how long have you, the store, been here?

Modern and Vintage: Four months.

Kaos Blac: So tell me about your store.

Modern and Vintage: Its a modern store we do carry a lot of nick-nacks, little trinkets for home, and I also carry large furniture - because of space we're creating a website that one can go on and you know look at any sofa's or dresser's we may carry.



Kaos Blac: Whats your biggest area of sales items, I see you have a lot of glassware.

Modern and Vintage: Yeah a lot of glassware - it seems like the neighborhood, I'm always buying new glassware items for the store.



Kaos Blac: I see you have a lot of greenery in your store.







Modern and Vintage: We try to incorporate a bit of every thing, everything to help in home decor plants, painting, furniture, we aren't your typical antique store.

Kaos Blac: So is you website live now.

Modern and Vintage: Not yet but we're working on it.

Kaos Blac: Cool so we'll be checking for it, but in the meantime come into the store which is located at...

Modern and Vintage: 708 Franklin Ave.Brooklyn, NY, 11238 bet Park and Prospect. (the google maps is old trust me it's there!)

I invite you all to stop in and check out their wares. 

No comments: