Wednesday, July 4, 2012

What does Frank Ocean's admission really mean?


The inter-webs have be blowing a fuse not just because of the record breaking heat but also because of R&B artist Frank Ocean's reviling aspects of his personal life,

 Four summers ago, I met somebody. I was 19 years old; he was too. We spent that summer, and the summer after, together. Everyday almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. Most of the day I’d see him and his smile. I’d hear his conversation and his silence until it was time to sleep. Sleep I would often share with him. By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant. It was hopeless. It was no escaping, no negotiating with the feelings. No choice. It was my first love. It changed my life.

Ocean's letter comes at a almost serendipitous time for me. Recently Anderson Cooper of CNN stated that is sexuality matter of factually for those who didn't already know. As the non-news of Coopers "coming out" washed over the shores of twitter and media outlets far and wide I wondered just what would happen if a major Black figure did the same, not to belittle fellow CNN anchor Don Lemon who came out a year ago. As a part of the collective, Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Then All whose antics are notoriously punk inspired yet also homophobic (although on of their legion Syd The Kid is a Lesbian), the two idea's are mutually exclusive based on punk history, Ocean builds another layer towards changing idea's about the groups homophobia as well as building new concepts of who are the faces of the next generation of African Americas.

This era of the 2000's has been and will be looked back on as a radical shift in American society. War came to America's front door on 911, a change from us dropping bombs like Pauly Shore in the 90's; to electing America's first president of color, POC snicker; Obamacre,  if he gets reelected it will fully go into effect; and now to equality of rights and representation of people of diverse backgrounds in the media. If Obama's support of marriage equality didn't tip the boat over for African America's to talk openly about sexuality one a member of america's favorite pastime celebrity will. This is just another signpost of the discussions we should be happening in our communities. Weather or not Ocean's musical career takes a hit from this is still up the air, his latest album Channel Orange is seeing a release July 17th, but Ocean doesn't seem to mind, 

 "I don’t know what happens now, and that’s alright. I don’t have any secrets I need kept anymore." " I feel like a free man. If I listen closely, I can hear the sky falling too."

No comments: